Pages

Thursday 7 January 2016

ADD THIS TO THE LIST OF THINGS TO STOP FOREVER



This is about to get really long, but it might be worth the read.
Growing up in the midst of so many Yoruba people with their customs and inexplicable behaviour meant so many things – one of which is repeated sensationalism.
An example of it hit me again yesterday when a lecturer of the Federal University of Technology Akure (whose name I do not know or care to mention if I did) came to do some business with us and was attended to by my uncle and I. Somehow I zoned out and by the time I returned to their realm he was saying something about a pastor who claimed he used to be an agent of evil and he helped give power to so many famous “men of God” both living and dead.
According to the lecturer, this fact was the reason why he doesn’t go to church, because he thinks most pastors get power from the devil.
This raised so many arguments inside my head, but I managed to let something out in form of a question; “who are these pastors?” I asked.
Of course the list started with Pastor T.B Joshua (the most demonized pastor in the world), and it went on to include several other preachers within and around Akure.
Before I air my views, I have no reason whatsoever to agree that any of these pastors were truly called by God, neither do I have plenty of substantial reason to argue the opposite.
My view however, is that this is just a means of making unearned money by the so – called converted pastor. This is not the first or second or fifth time someone has come out to claim that they are the source of “power” these pastors have been tapping from. Each of those times have been from CDs sold by these men and women who claimed to be gods in the past but are now pastors of God himself. This is not even then sad part.
The saddest and most annoying part of it is what I know. What I know is this, fast forward to 10 months from now, for example, someone else will come out and claim these same statements again and people will rally behind them and buy their CDs and books or whatever, attend crusades and so on. But they will all be lies.
I am a believer of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, but I believe there are smarter ways to protect your faith than to bastardise that of others.
More importantly, there are easier ways to make money than to engage in blasphemy.
And dear Yoruba people, there are simpler ways to waste money than buying lies over and over again.
P.S this can happen within any tribe, but I’ve seen it happen too many times with my people to stay quiet.

1 comment: